Monday, February 2, 2009

My Preemie, Steven


This is one of the reasons I started Afghans for Angels - VA Chapter, now HeartFelt Angels. My son, Steven, was born 3 months early. He weighed 2 pounds 3 ounces. The next day he weighed 1 pound 13 ounces. He was a preemie in the Newborn Intensive Care Unit at UVA in Charlottesville, VA. He was there for 2 months and came home weighing 4 pounds. While we were there, I saw several babies that passed away. It broke my heart to see the parents holding their baby with the pink, blue, and white receiving blanket. They were not prepared for a loss and had nothing special to hold their little angel in their arms with. Just that cotton receiving blanket that returned to the hospital wash. It was a blessing to find the AFA Charity to begin makings afghans for parents. Because these handmade afghans and quilts would be used by the parents for the begining process of healing. But it was also a blessing and a miracle to have my preemie home with me.

Steven graduated from Millbrook High School in 2007 and today he is taller than me! He has gone with me in past years on deliveries to UVA. They always love to see graduates from the NICU. He has also helped me with my meetings at the hospital...looking cute and carrying things to the car for me!

2 comments: